The number 74 of São Domingos Square was in the nineteenth century an iron warehouse, proof of this is the existing ramp where the iron wagons moved.
At the time of intervention, the building was composed of six floors, lay-vacant and in poor condition. Its inside masonry façade abutted with the inner yard, allowed both the lighting and ventilation of the two basement floors.
The main elevation facing one of the most illustrious city square, comprised a facade of granite ashlar with ground floor, three floors and shop, that was the last to be built in 1908. At this time the ground floor was conditioned to commercial use, removing any additional access from the street to the houses on the upper floors.
During the archaeological work, were discovered ceramic productions of the modern era (from the XVI and XVII centuries), “Golden pottery” from Spain, “Majolica pottery” from Italy and a fragment of a German beer Stein datable before 1581, as the existing coat did not contemplate the arms of Portugal.
Among the exhumed set stands out high quality pieces of national and international manufacturing, taking us to a refined enviroment well above the social patterns of those times.